I work for the EarthLink division of Windstream. We have both an Android and iOS app with livePerson chat embedded. Our production versions are working and have been for almost a year. Our account number is being updated. Our Android app has been updated with the new number both chats and notifications are working there. I am working on updating the iOS app, and chats are working but notifications are not coming thru. I uploaded our APNS cert and key file to the Application key management page for iOS and it still didn’t work. I looked back at my notes and saw that we previously needed a separate entry for dev and production. So I added a -DEV iOS item as well, but still no luck with notifications. And finally, I tried updating to the latest LivePerson SDK and still no luck with notifications. We also verified that notifications still work for the old account number. I suspect I am missing some step in the setup for the new account somewhere.